63/64

63/64

Saturday, February 12, 2011

India Friday 2/4/11




My plane landed in Deli around 4:40am. I then took a 30 min. tuk-tuk ride for 270 Rupees (R) (about $5.92) to my friend’s house to drop off my bags. No matter what country you’re in (What ain’t no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?) cabbies drive like they own the road. Depending on how you look at it, cabbies are either the best drivers in the world or the worst. My cabbie decided that a red light means to go faster. In India, they drive on the "other side” of the road, not the "wrong side." I took a nap then took a met with my travel agent to discuss specific details about trip. After that, I took a tour around Delhi by myself. Having a tour set up for you is a great, organized way to see a new city, but I like some chaos and randomness as well. I was dropped off at the natural history museum and toured there for 600R (altogether, about $13.16).




Deciding that I wanted to see the Lotus Temple at dusk, I took a tuk-tuk to a metro stop. A crowded car stopped in front of me. Attached to that car was a one with plenty of space. Logically, I moved to enter the second car. As I entered, beautiful women were all over the place. No, this wasn’t a dream. I quickly realized that the car I was in was for women only. The crowded car was full of men. I walked past one elderly woman who shook her head in disgust, as if to say, “Shame on you. You should have known better than to think you’d be the only man in this car.” I just mouthed the words “Sorry” and moved to the juncture between the two cars. One man, in a thick Indian accent, said “Sorry buddy.” I shrugged my shoulders and laughed. Some young women were still looking back at me and whispering things to each other. No doubt the gist of their conversation was, “Silly tourist, but he’s still cute though.”


The Lotus Temple was clearly visible from the train and was only a short walk from the station. By the way, the 15 min train cost 15R (about 33 cents). Once I entered the gates, it was just serene. Beautiful plants, grass and flowers lined the walkway. There were signs posted throughout the area asking people to not walk on the grass. Before you can enter the temple, there is a small room that people are asked to place their shoes. As I continued to walk to the temple I noticed several pools that surrounded the temple. I read that the pools were used as part of the natural cooling system of the temple. Entering into the temple, you immediately feel a sense of peace and tranquility. Posted around the temple are various quotes about believing in one God and oneness with God. I meditated and thought about just how far I’ve come in my life. I’m appreciative of my family, friends and those who have come into my life, stayed and to those who are no longer a part of my life. Actually, that statement isn’t true. Even though we may no longer communicate, our interactions have had hand in developing me into the man I am today. Anyone and everyone I've interacted with is a part of my life. Though I believe I greater than the sum of my parts, my experiences do make up a great deal of my synergistic self. To find out more about the temple click here.

A short tuk-tuk ride later, I was in front of The India Gate. The following picture does not do it justice. It is a very powerful and imposing monument in person. I then returned to my friend's house and went to bed, ready for The Wagah Border near Amritsar.

Here's a link to my Delhi Facebook album.






2 comments:

  1. Chucker,
    Your travels are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!!! Keep Traveling!!!

    C

    PS
    the word verification for this post was "Sores." I had a little kid moment. Really SORES?! BOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chaz,

    So glad you are sharing your travels and experiences with us. I love living through your eyes. Looking forward to more, more, more!

    PEACCCCE in the Middle East...

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete